Start with Why
Today is #WisdomWednesday 🤩!
🔑 Start with Why!
A path to effective communication! 🧵👇
You have an amazing idea. Whether it is a solution to a problem you care deeply about or an incredible new insight, it doesn't matter how genius it is if you are the only one who cares.
⭐ Because it's not enough to be right. You have to be effective.
Being effective means to produce the desired effect. To have someone or something change some behaviour because of you. Making anything change is hard, but it is especially hard to do it with people.
👉 If your idea does not spark a change, then it is a dead idea.
❓ What do you do then?
💡 You convince them that the problem you care about is also a problem they have or a problem they should care about.
❓ How do you do it?
⚙️ Start by structuring your discourse for maximum impact. Whether it is a 1-minute pitch or a PhD viva, always start with the problem, and then build towards the solution. Answer these questions in this order:
- ⭐ Why
- 💡 What
- ⚙️ How
⭐ Connect with your audience:
- 1️⃣ Use a story, preferably with people as protagonists
- 2️⃣ Be explicit about the problem
- 3️⃣ Layout the consequences of leaving that problem unsolved
- 4️⃣ Be kind of dramatic (👍 @josejorgexl)
- 5️⃣ Promise them something
💡 Get your main point across:
- 🖼️ Use graphics
- ⚡️ Be concise
⚙️ You got them, now squeeze:
- 1️⃣ Do not patronize your audience
- 2️⃣ Use concrete and realistic examples
- 3️⃣ Explain things as simple as possible, but not simpler
- 4️⃣ Leave unimportant details unexplained
- 5️⃣ Do not show off
- 6️⃣ Always fulfil what you promised
Once you have them convinced, leave with a Call to Action. Something your audience can do right there about that issue.
⚡️ Start applying these insights today, in your emails, Twitter threads, or presentations, and give your communication skills a level-up!
As usual, if you like this topic, reply in this thread or @ me at any time. Feel free to ❤️ like and 🔁 retweet if you think someone else could benefit from knowing this stuff.
🧵 Read this thread online at https://apiad.net/tweetstorms/wisdomwednesday-why
Stay curious 🖖
- 🎥 https://youtu.be/qp0HIF3SfI4
- 🎥 https://youtu.be/Tv0kQbOIrjY
- 📚 https://simonsinek.com/product/start-with-why/
- 📄 https://simonsinek.com/commit/the-science-of-why/
🗨️ You can see this tweetstorm as originally posted in this Twitter thread.